Little Germany reached its peak in the 1870's. It then encompassed over 400 blocks, comprised of six avenues and forty streets, running Telephone Number List south from 14th Street to Houston Street, and from the Bowery east to the East River. Tompkins Square and it park was consider the epicenter of Little Germany. The park itself was called the Telephone Number List Weisse Garten, where Germans congregated daily to discuss Telephone Number List what was important to the lives and livelihoods.
Avenue B was called the German Broadway, where almost every building contained a first floor store, or a workshop, marketing every sort of Telephone Number List commodity that was desired by the German populace. Avenue A was know for its Telephone Number List beer gardens, oyster saloons and assorted grocery stores. In Little Germany there were also Telephone Number List sporting clubs, libraries, choirs, shooting clubs, factories, department stores, German theaters, German schools, German churches, and German synagogues Telephone Number List for the German Jews.
Starting around 1880, the wealthier Germans began moving out of New York City to the suburbs. And by the turn of the 20th Century, the German Telephone Number List population in Little Germany had shrunk to around 50,000 people, still a sizable amount for any ethnic neighborhood in New York City. On June 15, 1904, St. Mark's Evangelical Lutheran Telephone Number List Church on 6th Street charted the paddle boat General Slocum, for the sum of $350, to take members of its congregation to its yearly picnic, celebrating Telephone Number List the end of the school year.